Suzuki2Strokes.com

Sundial Moto Sports

Suzuki Two-Stroke Message Board
Suzuki2Strokes.com
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:55 pm 
Offline
On the main road
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm
Posts: 120
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Country: Australia
Bikes owned: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 racer
Hi guys

My 6 months here in the US has been productive in that I have found myself enough bits and pieces to build up a TR500 replica. (see seperate thread) Unfortunately I must return home to Australia in January and I need to freight said bits and pieces home. Talk about a can of worms! I am boxing them up in a wooden crate approx 4ft x 3ft x 2ft and weighing I am guessing around 450lb, so obviously sea freight is the go.

This is where I have stumbled in regards to who I get to handle it. I naively thought I would just google up a freight company and off we go. However there are warnings all over the net about freight company scams and how you can end up being held to ransom for exorbitant amounts of dollars before you can get your stuff. Most saying the companies offering the cheapest prices are the worst.

So, has anyone got any recommendations for a reputable company, based on their own experience.

Any leads gratefully accepted as I am fast running out of time!
Chris


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:09 am 
Offline
Expert racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: Southeast England
Country: England
Bikes owned: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750
Hi Chris.....we send lots of stuff all over the globe, and we use the same shipping broker every time. If I put in the stats of your parcel and ask for a quote to Oz, ie. Freemantle (is that right?), I get a price of under £100 GBP, but the quote is from Southampton as we are UK based. We have in the past had things collected abroad and sent to us, so they may be able to help you.....I guess you need to call somebody. They use all major carriers, ie. UPS, TNT etc, so no worries about underhandedness....here's the link, good luck. https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/sea-freight/quote/

_________________
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:15 am 
Offline
On the main road
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm
Posts: 120
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Country: Australia
Bikes owned: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 racer
titan performance wrote:
Hi Chris.....we send lots of stuff all over the globe, and we use the same shipping broker every time. If I put in the stats of your parcel and ask for a quote to Oz, ie. Freemantle (is that right?), I get a price of under £100 GBP, but the quote is from Southampton as we are UK based. We have in the past had things collected abroad and sent to us, so they may be able to help you.....I guess you need to call somebody. They use all major carriers, ie. UPS, TNT etc, so no worries about underhandedness....here's the link, good luck. https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/sea-freight/quote/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks so much! Will be right onto them today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
Expert racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: Southeast England
Country: England
Bikes owned: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750
Any joy chris?

_________________
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:14 am 
Offline
On the main road
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm
Posts: 120
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Country: Australia
Bikes owned: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 racer
titan performance wrote:
Any joy chris?

Well, yes and yes! Spoke to them and they can indeed help out but I also have another angle on the go at the moment, an Aussie guy in Indianapolis who exports classic cars to Oz says he can help me out with including it in one of his consignments, so I'm just comparing pricing and logistics at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:00 pm 
Offline
On the main road
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm
Posts: 120
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Country: Australia
Bikes owned: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 racer
ChrisK wrote:
titan performance wrote:
Any joy chris?

Well, yes and yes! Spoke to them and they can indeed help out but I also have another angle on the go at the moment, an Aussie guy in Indianapolis who exports classic cars to Oz says he can help me out with including it in one of his consignments, so I'm just comparing pricing and logistics at the moment.


And this is indeed the option I went with, not so much about the price, just the convenience of having someone else take care of all the logistical details for me. Basically he said, send me the crate and I take care of everything else. Given that I fly out of the US at the beginning of January, this aspect was important.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:26 am 
Offline
Novice racer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 930
Location: North of Albany, NY
Country: USA
Bikes owned: T500R (now), T500M (30 yrs ago)
Excellent that you found someone to handle the issues of shipping. In the past, I have dealt with shipping to another country, and the biggest hassle is having an agent on the receiving end, to deal with Customs and transit from the receiving port to the final destination. Having someone who already has this in place is a Godsend, and takes a lot of stress out of the issue.

Sorry that you are shipping out so soon. I take a ride up to Burlington a few times each summer, to spend time with friends and hang out on the lake. Would of been nice to meet up.

Have a good trip home, and happy holidays!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:10 pm 
Offline
On the main road
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm
Posts: 120
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Country: Australia
Bikes owned: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 racer
ConnerVT wrote:
Excellent that you found someone to handle the issues of shipping. In the past, I have dealt with shipping to another country, and the biggest hassle is having an agent on the receiving end, to deal with Customs and transit from the receiving port to the final destination. Having someone who already has this in place is a Godsend, and takes a lot of stress out of the issue.

Sorry that you are shipping out so soon. I take a ride up to Burlington a few times each summer, to spend time with friends and hang out on the lake. Would of been nice to meet up.

Have a good trip home, and happy holidays!

Thanks Conner, nothing to say we won't be back here at some stage :) I'm not quite so keen on this winter business, but it would be nice to think we could come back in the summer or fall again. We have made some good friends in the few months we have been here so we will certainly be keeping an eye out for cheap flights and we know we have access to accommodation. I will certainly put a post up if this happens, who knows, these old Suzuki's weave all sorts of magic! The priority now is to get back home and earn some money to top the piggy bank back up and the wife has her studies to finish but when she graduates that may be a ticket back to the US as I believe her quals are in fairly high demand.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:36 am 
Offline
Still in the Driveway
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:10 am
Posts: 1
Country: UK
Bikes owned: T500
Hello, I have been searching around the web for guide on which carrier to use, my cargo isnt as heavy, roughly 70lb to australia and I came about to find this post, buddy (who will pick it up there) offered parcelabc, but I‘m not so sure their fares seem a bit highish, Chris if you're still there or anyone else if you have other suggestions, I‘d wish to hear them, really ain't want to overpay. Thank you very much.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Sundial Moto Sports forum © by Eric F. Kalamaja
Suzuki2Strokes.com