Tomcat Expansion Chambers are back in production

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jeff g
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550 -- 1 running, 4 not, '80 TS185

Tomcat Expansion Chambers are back in production

Post by jeff g »

This may not be the most appropriate forum for this but I know that several of you have heard of the issues I've been going through making the Tomcat expansion chambers.

As you all know, I took over the building of Tomcat pipes several years ago and had a miserable time getting the pipes made. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have made a different choice. My biggest issue was actually doing the welding. I can't weld sheet metal and haven't been able to develop the touch. And for the past several years I was not able to find a trustworthy welder who would do the work at a reasonable price...with reasonable to me being less than what was being charged for the pipes.

Well, that has finally changed. I have found a top notch welder who has his own equipment and work space. The fact that he's a bike nut is a double bonus. He and I tested out how well we work together for a month in June and July and got built 2 sets of T500 slip on pipes that I designed a few years ago in the Tomcat style. His work is very nice and the pipes look great. I took them to Mid-Ohio and everyone seemed to like them.

Pipes will start shipping by the end of September to all those who have outstanding orders. However, to clear the backlog, pipes are going to be built by model, not by order number. For all outstanding orders, H2 pipes will be built first then H1 pipes. This is being done simply for time management. Both I and the welder have full time jobs and mine requires a fair amount of overtime. There are more H2 pipe orders than H1 and rather than changing jigs constantly, I want to get all the pipes of a type done at once. In addition, I'll be building extra sets for sale. If you have an outstanding order and you see a set of pipes for sale before you get yours, that is NOT a snub or a stall. It's simply so that I can pay the welder and pay for more material and welding supplies. Without going into the details too much, for every 3 sets of pipes that have already been paid for, I have to sell 1 set of pipes to pay the welder. I will not be making an additional penny until all outstanding pipe orders have been filled.

I realize that to several of you, my name is dirt, and I truly regret that I have acted in a way that made you feel that way. There was NEVER an intent to deceive and all who know me well, know that and they know how badly that I feel that some think that my word is worthless. I hope to change that in the next few months by making sure that you get what you have paid for and have been patiently waiting for. I thank you for your patience. To all those who I've refunded the purchase price of the pipes, Thank you for the original order. If you still need pipes and want to re-order, I will honor the original purchase price.

Again, if you see a set of pipes on eBay or on the boards, and you have an outstanding order, please don't buy them unless you want an extra set of pipes. I guarantee if you see a NEW set of Kawasaki Tomcat pipes for sale, 3 people with outstanding orders will have had their orders shipped.

New orders will not be taken until after I start getting the outstanding orders shipped.

Jeff Gootblatt
jeff@kawtriple.com