GT750 Thermostats

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Re: GT750 Thermostats

Post by tz375 »

It would be better if it were skimmed - just to be sure there are no high or low spots that might prevent it sealing.

An auto machine shop should be able to skim it with the hose fitting still in place if they are careful. Might be easier for them if it were removed, but ask your machine shop.
simmons1
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1000s

Re:

Post by simmons1 »

Wayne Meuir wrote:I have posted this before and several of you think I am nuts, but when I rebuilt the engine on my Buffalo in 2007, it kept puking water out the overflow after running only a couple of minutes. The water being puked out onto the floor still felt cool. I have a perfectly clean radiator, new radiator hoses, new thermostat, new water pump, etc.
I took everything apart (except for splitting the cases again) to verify that everything was installed correctly and found no problem anywhere.
The bypass hose from the starter cavity to the thermostat housing was not the correct Suzuki one, so I bought a correct one and changed it just because the one I had was not formed quite like the original and I was afraid it might be collapsing, so I changed it.
I finally ended up removing the thermostat altogether and it has been running quite well ever since, it just takes it a little longer to get up to normal operating temp when you first start it up.

Wayne

This old mystery appears to be solved. The copper head gasket that Wayne used appears to have been the culprit.

I put the head back on tonight including installing a thermostat. I only rode it a mile or two, but it appears to be fixed after all these years. It also seems to have cured a slight miss fire I had at low RPM's that I had blamed on bad jetting from when I put the Higgspeeds on.

I need to ride it some more to be sure, but knock on wood it is now good to go.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
T700, Africa Twin, Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, GS1000s, GT750, H2 750
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Excellent! Glad to hear you solved the problem. Well done
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Good news. Now get some miles on!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.