CR250 - To sell or not to sell?

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

CR250 - To sell or not to sell?

Post by Madbuffalo »

I've been battling this decision for a while and have come to the complete realization I can't make it on my own.

I had wanted this particular bike ever since I was a kid, but could never afford it. Then in 2012 I finally had the money, sold my '85 model I had nursed along for nearly a decade, bought this and immediately tore it down to the frame for a full restoration. In the past 3 years I've only ridden it a few times. Today, most of the friends I rode with have since quit riding and in truth I now get a lot more enjoyment from my GT750 and mountain bike. I've grown apart from the friend who's track we always rode on so I don't even have a place to open it up. So this CR250 sits except for 1 or 2 times each year when I give my 3 year old twins rides around the yard. I feel like they would have just as much fun just riding bicycles with me though and so the only reason I hold on to the CR250 is in case I want to get them dirt bikes some time in the future so I'll have something to ride. And then something with a kick stand might be better suited for me as I teach them anyway. I'm not hurting for the money (For Ramsey followers we're pushing through step 6). Clearing its space in the garage would allow me to store my restored Bronco inside instead of under cover in the driveway. This is my all-time favorite dirtbike but I just keep feeling like it's time to let it go so I can spend my time and resources on things that are important to me and my family now. I tried to sell the thing a year ago and the buyer was on his way before I called it off. Now I just started to relist it and am again having serious second thoughts. Help me make the decision!
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: CR250 - To sell or not to sell?

Post by Alan H »

It's beautiful, but unless you are a collector, it's wasted in your garage.
Get rid and buy another Kettle. Leave the Bronco under the tarp.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

If I could make it street-legal, I might be interested. It's a beauty, but I can't use it.

Sorry,
Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Flywheel
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT185

Post by Flywheel »

I come from a similar background, I rode dirt motorcycles for 30 years. Now I'm content to ride my street bikes, mountain bicycles, and commuter bicycle. However I owned in the past many dirt bikes and some pretty rare big bore 2 strokes:
1982 Honda CR 480
1984 KTM 495 MXC

I honestly wish I would have kept at least one of these. My vote is to keep it if you have the space.
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp

Post by Madbuffalo »

Thanks guys for the good thoughts. I had been waiting to respond to see if more came in. At the moment I'm leaning toward letting it go. I'll wait a week or so to list it though as we just went back to winter here in Michigan.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

To make it a little easier, is there something else you've always wanted? (Doesn't have to be a motorcycle). Dedicate the money you make from the sale of the bike to fill another dream.
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp

Post by Madbuffalo »

Connor, I really like the sound of that.:up: It was actually sort of what initiated the whole idea to sell: Let go of what's no longer important so I can focus on the things that are. A little back story, Around a year ago my wife and I made some goals and decided we'd hit them one at a time. The process has been really rewarding but shortly after we started it the GT and Bronco needed some minor repairs, so I just parked them both.:wth: Next up on the list is actually getting back to those repairs including all their little issues that have been bothering me for years (ie: time for the leaky petcock to be no more :twisted: ). Letting go of the CR250 makes all that happen this April just in time for Summer. So thanks for reminding me why.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp

Post by Madbuffalo »

The CR250 is sold. I listed it on craigslist last night and by this morning there were 14 people interested. :shock: It ended up going to a young guy who I know will get a lot of use out of it. The selling price was $1,700 which was more than I paid 5 years ago, even after all the new parts I added, so that was good. Still, I was sad to see it go.

Thanks guys,
Josh

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I sold my Concours about a month ago, because (quite frankly) I just wasn't comfortable with it. Too big, too high CG etc. So I had a pile of money laying around, and ran across a Craig's List ad for vintage bikes not far away. I wound up buying a couple of little tiddlers to play with. I still had a pile of cash sitting here, and one of the guys on the Kawasaki Triples board posted a 1978 Gold Wing (naked) for sale, and I had just enough left to get it. Of course, it's big too, but much easier to manage due to the very low CG. Anyway, traded one for three......

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........