Countdown to winter.

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

I normally leave mine with a full tank of gas, so there is not much of a airspace for condensate to develop, and start it and run it for few minutes every once in a while.

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

You souther guys really frost my britches. Not that you would know what's that's like.
Well, it's not riding weather all year, but it rarely snows, so with good gear most of the year is OK.

For you guys up North, I have to ask two questions:

1) Do you own a car that runs?

2) Why are you still there? Point car South and drive; the Geese do it.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Frank
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, GT550 (electric conversion), Hayabusa

Post by Frank »

I might occasionally use the kick starter to turn an engine over but I don't feel it's necessary. I'll also squeeze the brake levers once in awhile in the assumption that some type of motion can't hurt. I've never worried about jacking tires off of cold pavement either. I once stored a Triumph for 18 months by putting stabilizer in the gas and a bit of oil in the cylinders. It started on the 2nd kick.

If you start an engine periodically it's crucial that it be thoroughly warmed up but I think the negatives outweigh the positives. For example, you might drive any moisture out of the oil and exhaust system but because it's presumably colder than when you stored the bike in the first place, there's a good chance more moisture will accumulate than what you drove out . Maybe I'm all wet (sorry) but I've never done it.

My biggest concern is the impact of ethanol in gasoline. I don't think it'll be an issue for bikes with steel tanks but anything using fiberglass will need special care.
Frank
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, GT550 (electric conversion), Hayabusa

Post by Frank »

rngdng wrote: Well, it's not riding weather all year, but it rarely snows, so with good gear most of the year is OK.

Lane
Lane, sadly we all have to have cars. The closest I came one year was when I was living in Quebec 20+ years ago, newly divorced, with no car. I had fleeting thoughts of riding all year (I knew a guy with a 650 Yamaha who did this using studded tires.) I was ice racing at the time and knew about tires, but decided that was insane, considering that it wasn't unusual to have snow every night. My riding buddy gave me an old chevy we used to pull my dirt bike trailer and that got me through.

I keep telling my wife (who doesn't like the cold) that we need a winter place in S.C. but so far she hasn't taken the bait....
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Frank wrote:I might occasionally use the kick starter to turn an engine over but I don't feel it's necessary. I'll also squeeze the brake levers once in awhile in the assumption that some type of motion can't hurt. I've never worried about jacking tires off of cold pavement either. I once stored a Triumph for 18 months by putting stabilizer in the gas and a bit of oil in the cylinders. It started on the 2nd kick.

If you start an engine periodically it's crucial that it be thoroughly warmed up but I think the negatives outweigh the positives. For example, you might drive any moisture out of the oil and exhaust system but because it's presumably colder than when you stored the bike in the first place, there's a good chance more moisture will accumulate than what you drove out . Maybe I'm all wet (sorry) but I've never done it.

I tend to turn mine gently on the kick once every coupla weeks ... I like to think it re-coats the oil film around the bottom end.

3 years back I had the top end stripped for 6 weeks in warm weather, and there was still a good film of oil mix on the flywheels and rods when I came to rebuild so it certainly should not dry out in winter temperatures ...
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

it won't do any harm by mixing a little two stroke in the tank.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

1) Yep.

2) What, and leave paradise????? :lol:

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Frank, you're absolutely right. This is all basic physics and chemistry.
To simplify, most water comes into the engine with the intake air stream. To drive off the condensed water in the oil, you have to heat the oil to above 100*C (212*F) bulk temperature so that the water boils off and goes out the crankcase breather vent. If the oil does NOT reach that temperature then you stand a good chance of having MORE water condense into the oil when the engine cools off after a 5 or 10 minute "warmup" than you had BEFORE you started the engine.
Yes, all modern oils since about 1964 contain a decent amount of water dispersant additive but......there is only so much of that dispersant in a given quantity of oil. It can only hold so much water in suspension. When the "water holding limit" is exceeded you will get liquid water in your sump and/or gearbox. This is one of the main reasons you should change ANY oil on a regular basis. This is also one of the reasons you should change your oil BEFORE you put your bike into storage for any extended period of more than 60 days or so. Two stroke oils also contain a water dispersant but not in anywhere near the quantities found in four stroke oils.
Another reason to change oil before storage AND a reason NOT to run the engine for short periods during storage is that byproducts of combustion combine with any moisture in the oil and/or the crankcase to form nasty acids. These acids WILL attack all metals present in any motorcycle.
Yes, oils have an acid neutralizer (called a "base", for those who skipped chem classes) in their additive packages but......again, there is only so much of this neutralizer in a given quantity of oil.....and two stroke oils contain very little acid neutralizers because they are not expected to have to cope with large amounts of acids, being used only once.
When the acids attack the metals in your engine, your close tolerances
become loose tolerances.
I could go on for quite a while yet......but these are the basics of the whole thing. Scroll down this page http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/gt/index.htm to the "How To" section to read Uncle H2's world famous writeups on oils for strokers.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Damn. I may have to change my routine.

But just kicking it over a few times is not near as much fun as starting the bike up and letting run for a while and smoke up the whole place. :lol:

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

rngdng wrote:
You souther guys really frost my britches. Not that you would know what's that's like.
Well, it's not riding weather all year, but it rarely snows, so with good gear most of the year is OK.

Lane
The older I get the more that's sounding better and better. If it weren't for skiing I don't know what I'd do withmyself in the winter.
So many Projects - So little time
debby
On the main road

Post by debby »

markj wrote: The older I get the more that's sounding better and better. If it weren't for skiing I don't know what I'd do withmyself in the winter.
Me too. I bought another ski pass this year so I guess I might as well use it. Plus this is where the job is.

It's about time to pickle my T500 for the winter. I'm hoping to take it out this weekend for the last ride this year.

Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

The older I get the more that's sounding better and better. If it weren't for skiing I don't know what I'd do withmyself in the winter.

You don't need to ski down here....you can go riding in the winter.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Triplerocky
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt380m, gt380a, ts400b

Post by Triplerocky »

Just today I done a 70 km. ride to try the black GT380 after pistons & rings cleaning....windy from south, but sunny, 16° C.
I think to stretch the season almost to Christmas.
Who says that overheating is a bad thing at all?? :roll:
'75 GT380M
'77 GT380B
'77 TS400B
('74 GT380 is gone at 2300 euros)
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Who says that overheating is a bad thing at all??
Well, Rocky, I hope to NEVER have to use "overheating" and "engine" in the same sentence. :wink:

Not to hijack this thread, but......

Rocky, if you mean "global warming", that's a whole 'nother scenario......if it is happening at all. I'm a real sceptic on the whole so-called "climate change" thing.
First it was "global warming"....then "global cooling".....then the "hole in ozone layer"....then the ice caps were "melting". These enviro-phreaks can't seem to make up their collective "minds"......so they settled on "climate change" so that no matter what happens, they'll be right. Between the media and these limp-noodle so-called scientists YOU, the taxpayer, are getting bent over seriously badly.
Check out some "inconvenient truths" at this site
http://www.friendsofscience.org/......and NO apologies to algore whatsoever. :evil:
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Try explaining to Australians that the hole in the Ozone layer is a hoax. Despite rising UV levels, lack of rain etc.

Or explain it to the people of iceland who almost have no ice left.

Or to the people measuring glacier depth

Or to polar bears who are running out of habitat.

Let's get real here people. We are seeing a change to weather patterns that are partly natural and partly from human activity and that damage we have to at least mitigate.

Anyone who believes we can continue to burn up the world's resources with impunity is a part of the problem.

We can choose to be part of the solution or part of the problem. At the moment we have some choices left. We should learn to use them wisely.

Now I'm going to take my 20MPG smelly two stroke for a ride. :roll: