USPS priority Airmail

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

spike
On the main road

USPS priority Airmail

Post by spike »

I bought a VERY expensive tach for my racing restoration project.
The guy tells me he send it USPS Priority (I understand Airmail) and says he hasn't got a tracking #… I thought that was the reason why using Priority was a must: tracking and insurance.

Am I wrong?

Where does the guy finds his tracking #? on the slip?

This has me real worried.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

The USPS tracking is worthless. Even if you buy tracking, you can't get any information until the package is delivered.
Only Fed-Ex and UPS provide real time tracking. Do not confuse USPS with UPS. They are 2 entirely different entities.

USPS = United States Postal Service
UPS = United Parcel Service
Fed-Ex = Federal Express
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
spike
On the main road

Post by spike »

I do have a UPS account, so know the difference between uSps and UPS. :D

Everybody on eBay wants to ship stuff using Priority because of the tracking #, is that included or an extra? Lore or legend?
elbert
On the main road

Post by elbert »

There is a tracking number on USPS priority,m at least when it's sent to europe, it looks something like "CU123456789US"
Allthough it might be useless in the US, the same number is often used by the postal service in the receiving country as well, at least it does in Norway and Denmark.
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

elbert wrote:There is a tracking number on USPS priority,m at least when it's sent to europe, it looks something like "CU123456789US"
Allthough it might be useless in the US, the same number is often used by the postal service in the receiving country as well, at least it does in Norway and Denmark.
From what I understand those are not a tracking number, they are a customs number that sometimes the USPO will scan showing they have the item, if not than the USPO will sometimes scan the item when leaving the country, other than that it tells you when it's delivered.

On Priority Mail you can add a tracking number for 70 cents but it's not automatic And you have to pay for extra insurance, you might be covered up to 50 dollars, Express is covered to 100 dollars I believe.
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Coyote wrote:The USPS tracking is worthless. Even if you buy tracking, you can't get any information until the package is delivered.
Only Fed-Ex and UPS provide real time tracking. Do not confuse USPS with UPS. They are 2 entirely different entities.
You know - my own experience for the most part with USPS has been pretty good - with one exception in the past year I have usually been able to follow the progress of my orders as they move along. And they don't rip you off they way UPS does with cross border shipments.........
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
debby
On the main road

Post by debby »

Try to get the seller to give you the number from the customs form. That's the best way to track it.

Sometimes customs will hold the item for several weeks.

good luck,
Debby
70 T500-III
75 RL250
79 GS1000N
plus a few non-Suzukis...