Pannier bags with indicators on a buffalo

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Pannier bags with indicators on a buffalo

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

I've never had pannier bags before so i decided to get some for the Buffalo on my long haul trips around B.C.
I settled on the Givi T421 soft pannier bags for the back http://www.giviusa.com/soft-luggages/Saddle-bags/T421 and got the T 429 tank bag up front http://www.giviusa.com/soft-luggages/Tank-bags/T429. This tank bag becomes a backpack once you unzip it from the base unit which is a neat feature.

Since the Buffalo needs the rr indicators removed for the pannier bags to fit flush against the bike, i decided to make up a little adaptation for some integrated pannier indicators.
I found some 'pilot' brand amber coloured lamps from an auto parts store that are quite flat and approx 2 inches in diameter, perfect for mounting onto the rear facing portion of the bags for indicator units.
Then i got from the same auto parts store some dual wire connectors like those used on the Titans for the battery to main harness connection.
These I'll use to make up a quick connect system for the indicators to the buffalo harness, one pair per side.
Now to mount the bags for a trip, i remove the stock rear indicators and mount the bags to the bike, then connect the dual connectors ive added to the bikes harness to the ones attached to the indicators mounted on the bags.
Its a neat and an effective solution to a problem which will look decent, plus the cost is reasonable.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Allen, your solution sounds a little classier than mine. I just picked up a set of cheap leather over-the-seat saddlebags this spring for traveling. I picked up the biggest ones that would fit behind my legs, and in front of the stock signal light arrangement. They were around $50-60, including the shipping/handling. I can pack enough in them for a couple day trip, and just sling them over my shoulder and carry them into a motel or house at night. If I need more room I strap a bag on the luggage rack.

On the plus side mine came with leather tassels and silver conchos to bug Lane. :lol:

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

leather tassels and silver conchos to bug Lane.

Kevin, You can be as tasteless as you want; I don't care!!! :D :D :D

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Will you two stop the tassel comments and stick to the point of this thread,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I put a set of vintage Vetter bags on mine to match the fairing - and just reused the original side markers. I like the 'period' look :D
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Ian if youre referring to the hard type cases, i prefer to take mine off the bike at night and carry them into the tent.
So the soft cases are much better if your tent is small, plus you can use one of the cases as a base for your pillow.
I'm not one for the period look of those hard shell cases and fairings from the 60/70s, to me they were ugly then and even more so now im a lot older,, :lol: :lol: BUT thats just my opinion.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Allan,

Those are nice bags and I hear the quality is good.

Personally I'd prefer the with tassels and conchos for a more traditional American look :roll:

What i used to use many years ago was a Ventura ( I think) rack which was a small rack behind the seat like one of Johhnies but with replaceable top loop.

For regular round town trips i used the low top rung and when carrying things I used the tall one and slipped a rucksack over the tall loop and the weight was on the passenger seat.

If I needed more volume, I'd use a tank bag and light/bulky items could go on the luggage rack.

Now if it won't fit in a small bag, it doesn't go with me and if I need to take more stuff, i take a spare pair of wheels (ie the car)
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

Richard the cases are very well made indeed, even i was impressed when i inspected them closely. Theres lots of pockets and places for specific small items inside the zippered cover.
You can even use one or both of the pannier bags for aircraft travel as a regular carry on bag by attaching the shoulder strap, or just use the grab handle.
They also come with elastic edged rain covers as well as a decent storage bag for when youre not using them.
This all started me thinking because Uncle H2Rick has a similar set and uses them with his Bandit on the "Western Tours" we go on in summer, but luckily his bikes rear indicators are not in the way like mine are.
As it stands now i place my regular bag on the seat passenger section to the rack lengthwise, and everything gets tied down on top of it. Its like building your own pagoda of stuff behind you, its unsightly and anytime you want anything in the bag it all has to be removed to get at it.
Next summer trip should be interesesting using the new bags for the first time.
The only problem is the more room you have, the more stuff you want to carry.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

Get a 'chase' van and have no bags to impede your ride! Have your girlfiend and or wife drive the van so your handling on the bike stays optimal ALL the time. The extra capacity of the van opens up all kinds of possibilities, even pulling another bike! Just a thought/ daydream / fantasy / pipe dream.......... Sounds good anyway :wink:
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

rbond wrote:Get a 'chase' van and have no bags to impede your ride! Have your girlfiend and or wife drive the van so your handling on the bike stays optimal ALL the time. The extra capacity of the van opens up all kinds of possibilities, even pulling another bike! Just a thought/ daydream / fantasy / pipe dream.......... Sounds good anyway :wink:
And if the van's a rockin'.............you probably need to change the pugs.... :wink:
So many Projects - So little time
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:I'm not one for the period look of those hard shell cases and fairings from the 60/70s, to me they were ugly then and even more so now im a lot older,, :lol: :lol: BUT thats just my opinion.
Well, I'll admit that I'm surprised to hear you have an opinion :D - but anyway, to quote from another recent thread "I'm OK with you being wrong about that" :D :D :D That's the nice thing about this group - its inclusive and has room for a wide range of views.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

I rather like tassels especialy when they are attached to a pair of .......

Last edited by johnakay on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Glad to see you made it back Johnny. :)

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

thanks Kevin.
we had a great time .the weathers was hot and fatty me was sweating like a shower.dripping into my eyes etc so while sat in the apartment had a couple of hankies over my head. once I get the pictures loaded up off my camra I'll post a couple on here you you nice folks can have a laugh on me. aint I good! johnny
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership