Bike Finished and Time to Say Thanks

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ilbikes
On the main road

Bike Finished and Time to Say Thanks

Post by ilbikes »

Guys, many of you have contributed parts and almost everyone here has helped in the advice department. I've gotten a lot of support from this board and the friends I've met on it.

I bought this bike in July 2008 on eBay from Don Ruff, RB had it picked-up and delivered it to me at Barbers last year. It has been almost 1 year since I got it home and took it apart (October 28, 09). Today I put a new ignition on the bike and started it for the first time in many, many years.

I want to thank you guys for all the time and enthusiasm you have towards these old bikes.

Gordon

jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Very nice. :) :) :)

Resurrection is always a good thing.

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
ilbikes
On the main road

Post by ilbikes »

My painter had an impossible time getting Dupont Chromabase made to the right color and flake for the 1974 Firemist Red. He matched it by using 3 stage paint - base (orange and big flake manually added), tinted urethane clear (deep red of the Firemist), and final 3 layers of clear.

The effects were a surprise to me. Look closely at the tank - left and right. In the sun, the tank is Firemist Orange with flake and in the shade - Firemist Red. The differences in color of the original tank below the radiator coolant decal was a deep red and orange where the sun faded.

How many of you painted your 1974 Firemist Red bikes? Anything like this in those colors? I've never seen this before until I rolled it out on the sun for photos and start-up.

Gordon

Arne
To the on ramp

Post by Arne »

If there were ever a bike that deserved a mat be placed so the frame stand didn't get scratched, this is the one.

Excellent job!

How did it run and what's the next project?
1954 Harley ST165 basket in the attic
1972 Suzuki GT750 project in the works
1981 Honda CB750-1000 driver
1982 Honda GL500 easy project
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Very nice indeed - you've set the bar a bit higher for the rest of us also doing restorations!
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

I already figured a super nice restore on your GT judgeing from your other bikes but WOW shes a beauty , your going to knock there socks off at Barber :D
the older i get the faster i was
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

That bike really deserves a round of applause. I'm betting it looks even better in person which is pretty hard to imagine.
So many Projects - So little time
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Gordon, candy/metalflake paintjobs tend to change colors with the lighting, and that looks great to me. I'm glad you finally got all of the parts the way you wanted them.

Can't wait to see it in person.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Gordon , now that you have her together and running what do you think about the GT750 compaired to your other machines ?
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

Not to be a pain in the a$$ but how about some real detail pics with the seat up and detail photos of the motor etc.?

When you get a chance. I may never see it in person so I'll have to settle for some good close ups.
So many Projects - So little time
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

+1 :D
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Gordon,

That bike is gorgeous. It's a credit to you. take a bow.
ilbikes
On the main road

Post by ilbikes »

Arne, it did - it started up right away.

I do have three issues though -

One is a leak and I'm thinking I'll have to take the head off and replace it. The temperature sensor is a NOS one, but it's leaking around the threads. I've tightened it to specs, wrapped the threads in teflon, but she still leaks. This head is the original, but I had problems removing the old sensor during tear-down, so I used a tapered tap to chase the threads. I'm going on a head hunt.

Second is the o-ring chain. While I am using the H2 sprocket I had specially milled to clear the bearing cover, the o-ring chain is so wide that I cannot get it to clear the stock, inner exhaust. It has the slightest bit of contact - just a kiss when you roll the wheel. At speeds, the movement and eventual wear of the chain will eat a hole in the side of the pipe. I think it's back to the standard chain and sprocket. I've tried 2 inner pipes and both have this same exact clearance issue with the o-ring.

Third, I've had that seat back to the shop that covered it for me and he cannot get the curved area over the seat lock to look right. This is a new foam and cover from RB, but something about the transition of padding to metal is not like I want it. I'm going to worry about it a lot less and ride it, but I want to solve it.

I don't know if this video will work on here - I did this yesterday.

Regards,
Gordon

http://vholdr.com/forward/emailref/46146

VholdR Video 17
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Worked fine for me - and I added another 'thumbs up' to it :D Very sweet.
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Nice video and again a beautiful GT , that is strange the chain would contact the pipe . Not to question your assembly but is it possible there is a spacer or something missing from the rear pipe mount making the pipe sit further out ?