73 TS185, My introduction into the world of 2-strokes and Suzuki

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

skota23
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 TS185

73 TS185, My introduction into the world of 2-strokes and Suzuki

Post by skota23 »

Hi Folks,

I'm Steve from Madison Wisconsin.

I picked up this 73 TS185 off of ebay as it happened to be local. It has a title, runs (just ok) but is in the condition that works for me.

I'm planning on getting the mechanicals in good working order as a first priority and have started taking things apart and cleaning.

Removed the carb and did a general cleaning and ordered new gasket and o-rings from Partzilla (if anyone has suggestions for other places to order parts from I'm all ears). It has a 125 main jet and the manual I have says it should be a 130, everything else looked ok but it would be nice to have a better parts diagram.

Pulled the oil can and air box for cleaning and to replace line from the tank to the pump. It also needed a new cap (ordered from partzilla)

I've had a few bikes over the years but havent done much mechanical, valve adjustments and so on. I've been watching a ton of youtube videos from Garage2Trail and Dale Sweger (Thanks guys if you're on here, AMAZING WORK YOU DO!)

I'll probably have a bunch of questions along the way so please be patient with me.

Thank you!
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: 73 TS185, My introduction into the world of 2-strokes and Suzuki

Post by Alan H »

Welcome in Steve. Great intro & pic. Looks like you have a very understanding partner at home!!
Nice bikes the off roaders - I've ridden a few, but never owned one. I've always gone for the twins & triples (two strokes - except for a M12 back in 1968! - plus a couple of 4 cylinder 4 strokes in my collections.)

Good exploded parts details here - https://alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm - pick year, model, area of interest (gearbox, wheel, frame etc.) and expand/print as required.
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
skota23
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1973 TS185

Post by skota23 »

Thanks Alan,

I've been able to find the part diagrams on a couple retailer sites but this is much better!

Steve
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Oh, us oldies know things!! (Sometimes, when the memory cell fires up!):wink:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.