Gt 250 clutch problem

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Ian7324
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt250a 1976

Gt 250 clutch problem

Post by Ian7324 »

I acquired a gt250 a few months back, it had been covered in grease and stood for 40 years, all cleaned up now , not mint but OK. Got it started which was exciting as it was in an enclosed garage and smoked the whole house out, I’m now not too far off getting it going properly but have a clutch problem , the rear wheel spins at quite a speed when I put it in gear and the clutch lever makes no difference whatsoever so I guess the clutch is either gummed up or the mechanism is not working correctly , am I right in thinking that it is probably knackered and needs new plates or could it be an oil or lever issue. Any advice / help appreciated Thanks Ian
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: Gt 250 clutch problem

Post by karl pa »

When you pull the clutch lever, do you feel resistance ? If yes, then it is probably the plates stuck together. If no, then it could be cable or mechanism.

When on center stand, The rear wheel will spin on these bikes, even in neutral, unless the brake is applied, there is not enough resistance in the drive line to hold the wheel from spinning. Without the brake applied, the clutch will have little to no effect on the wheel spin.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe