New member - '76 GT550 among many others

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ohiogt550
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT550

New member - '76 GT550 among many others

Post by ohiogt550 »

I'm from Ohio, USA. I'm 65 and I've been riding and wrenching on bikes since I was 12. Raced both dirt and road courses in my youth. Now that I'm retired, I spend a lot of my time either restoring or customizing or bikes. I'll do one or the other based on the bikes condition. I currently own an '81 Honda CB650C hardtail bobber, a 79/80 Kawasaki KZ440 tracker style custom, a 1970 Triumph TR6C all original survivor, and the 1976 GT550 I'm working on. I'm also building an 81 Honda CM400T custom bobber for a high school buddy of mine at the the same time. I've restored an 79 Yamaha XS650 Special as well and built a CB350 Night Fighter. Have a well equipped shop, including a vapor blaster I built after studying numerous youtube videos.

Back in the 80's, I owned a 77 GT550 that was set up as a street racer - chambers, mild porting, air forks, rear-sets, bullet fairing, etc.. All the trick bits of the day. My neighbor and good friend owned an H1 Kawi, and another buddy had a GT550 as well both similarly set up. At least one evening a week we'd take a blast up through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, up one side of the river, then down the other, the exhaust notes from three sets of triple chambers ringing off the surrounding hills. Good times!

The GT I'm just starting on was given to me by my neighbor. Evidently he was having a bonfire / keg party back in 1982 for a bunch of his biker ( Harley) friends. Some guy shows up, well in his cups, riding this "Jap" bike. He was so drunk, he dropped the bike twice coming up the driveway. The party lasted well into the wee hours, and the next afternoon, when my neighbor was surveying the aftermath, he see the bike leaning against his shed. He didn't know the guy who rode it in, and after checking with all of his friends in the days following the party found that none of them knew the guy either. Figuring the guy would eventually show up wanting the bike, he let it sit. 40 years later it's still sitting there in the same place. Mice have made the airbox and carbs their home, and the gas in the tanks is the consistency of tar.

The bike is too far gone to be restored to stock, so I'm going to build a retro cafe racer out of it. Bought a set of Jemco chambers and some replacement carbs at Mid-Ohio swap meet. Going to bore 1mm, and shave head 1mm.

I now have the engine torn down and the cases split. I had to get creative getting the pistons out of the jugs - used a harmonic balancer puller bolted to the studs as a press. Tapping on the pullers screw while holding tension on a wrench, the slugs came out bit by bit.

I signed up here because the info available on the Suzuki triples is kind of slim, and it seems there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here that I can tap for advice as the project progresses.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: New member - '76 GT550 among many others

Post by jabcb »

Welcome to the forum.

To post pics here: (1) upload the pics to a image sharing website (I use Flickr) & (2) include links to the pics in your posts here.

Now is a good time to replace the crank seals. Bill Bune is highly recommended — they did several cranks for me.
https://www.billbune.com
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
GTFIZZ
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt185 1976 , Yamaha FS1e 1975

Post by GTFIZZ »

I was the drunk and I forgot where I left it, so can I have it back please :P

Nice intro
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Welcome to Sundial- great intro.
Lots of 550 experience on here - I bought another project last week, and have three sorted, a '72, '76 and '77. If you do a search (Quick links under the Kettle picture) for Earwig, Anna and Yeti) you might find some ideas you like.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.