Now for something REALLY different....

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Now for something REALLY different....

Post by Alan H »

Last year for my 70th BD, Lynn bought me a flight in an aerobatic aircraft at Sherburn Aero Club - this one - www.sherburnaeroclub.com/trial-flights/ ... -flight-27 .
Well, fitting in in around covid and holidays caused issues then a fat git broke the canopy and finally the fuel tank sprang a leak, and being an aerobatic aircraft, it had to be mended properly. The tank ended up being sent to New Zealand for repairs (why the fk they didn't get a new one is beyond me!), so finally we managed to sort out a day and that was today.
I got to have a go at flying it around York and that was brill - and pulled some 'G' which was weird and good, and the instructor (who was an ex BA pilot and several years older than me- honest!!) did the hard work. Several loops, rolls, bunts and an Immellmann and more G until I think he saw I had had enough excitement and flew 'normally' for a bit. No I wasn't sick, but I reckon another Top Gun manoeuvre might have done it!
Anyway, a great day out and a well deserved bacon sarnie after we landed.
Still life in the old dog (me!), and I'm a youthful 71 in five weeks!!
Another guy in his thirties there, asked me why, and shouldn't I act my age, and I replied that I didn't know how to act nearly 71 as I'd never been that old before.

Growing older is mandatory, but growing up is definitely not.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
vulcanman
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A 1976

Re: Now for something REALLY different....

Post by vulcanman »

Well thats fantastic Alan,ive done similar in a North American Texan from Shoreham in honour of my Dads passing.He was an RAF pilot in WW2 and did his advanced training on the Texan T6 in Mesa Arizona.like you a few rolls ,loops,bunts ,was enough but gentle level flying before a run and break over the airfield was highlight.dont think i could even climb in now let alone do the aerobatics.got to do these things while you can.one day it be too late.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

A former US President was a WWII fighter pilot and celebrated his 75th, 80th, 85th & 90th birthdays by tandem skydiving.
A friend has Parkinson’s & is in assisted living. A neighbor was recently diagnosed with MS. Both about my age.

I agree — we should enjoy our senior years while we can.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

That was George Bush senior.he flew Grumman Avengers in ww2.not a fighter.torpedo bomber.
vulcanman
To the on ramp

Post by vulcanman »

Thought my riding days after 43 years had gone but im fighting on.one of my mates is 82 and gone to an outfit now.keeps him riding.good on him.