Oh no, not another Aussie!!!

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

BC big wheel
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT750A

Oh no, not another Aussie!!!

Post by BC big wheel »

G'day all,

After 5 years of on again, off again restoration, my third Suzuki GT750A, in Maui Blue is at last, on the road. Happy days as I trundle around the hills of Adelaide, South Australia.
A bit about me.
I began riding bikes in 1971, on a 1967 250cc Norton Jubilee, followed by a Honda CB250K4. Yes, I was always the last to arrive on any run as all my mates rode GT/T 250's, RD250's and the odd KH!! I progressed to a Triumph TR6 Thruxton convert. Which I left with a friend! after he over revved it and bent a push rod. I still have not got the bike back yet!!! Whilst on posting to the former West Germany I bought my first GT750A, unfortunately this only lasted 6 weeks, as I was T-boned by a drunk and Cedric 1 was written off. My girl friend named it Cedric! MY GF then in 1976, is still my very tolerant wife in 2021. After I recovered I went out and bought a second GT750A, called Cedric 2. This lasted 3 years, and once again I got T-boned by a drunk again and that was the end of Cedric 2. Back in the UK I bought the much maligned Yam XS750 2D as a run about. This was a great work horse and took me far and wide, without any issues. Finally due to marriage, etc, I gave up bikes in 1988. In 1989 I moved to Australia, then in 2008, when a late night, drunken, e-bay surfing session ended with me winning a 1975,Yam XS750D for restoration. The bug had bitten again. This resto took 4 years and started my affair with bikes again. The XS was my first in depth lesson of spannering a bike and not just riding it. I decided to relive the last three big bikes of my youth and the Yam ticked that first box. This project led to a 1982, Triumph Bonneville T140E, which only needed a brief resto and back on the road, more happy days. Finally in 2016, I located a running, but in need of resto, a 1975, GT750A. So Cedric 3 took a while to restore, but it was a pleasure to do, as I had no two stroke spannering experience. All three of these bikes trace my journey in my youth, to now, in my sixties :up: As CB250K4's and Norton 250 Jubliee's are like hens teeth in Oz, I am not holding my breath to get either, any time soon.
Well thats me, cheers all, Johno "aka BC big wheel".
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Oh no, not another Aussie!!!

Post by tz375 »

G'day Johno and welcome to the mad house.

Interesting history, but a Jubilee? Seriously? My brother had one a few decades back and he had a lot of fun on it. I had a Fanny B which was it's sister but with a Villiers 1H motor instead of that odd high cam design.

South Oz is a great place to visit. Cultural center and great beaches and wineries. Mt Gambier has a nice race track and there's Mallala which was popular with vintage (Historic) racers. I can think of a lot worse places to live.

Try not to make it a 3peat with Cedric3 though. :wink:
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Welcome in, Johno. Great intro and we share your pain!!
There's CB250s about, but most of the Jubilees have long since melted. A few Navigators and Electras about, but the smaller Nortons were never really loved like the Jap stuff when it arrived.
Alan.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
BC big wheel
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT750A

Post by BC big wheel »

Hi tz375,

Yes, a 250 Jubilee, I had to start somewhere and this was the cheapest option, as I was self taught to ride and fall off, like mostyoung blokes of the seventies, if they admitted it. I even got my first speeding fine, whilst trying to change up into third gear, because I was looking down to see what my foot was doing!!

Mt Gambia circuit is still used by the Vintage & Classic Racing Club for their events. Mallala is still operating, however is not that good anymore as the owner does not maintain it that well. This is likely due to the new, Bend race circuit, at Tailem Bend, 100km North of Adelaide. The circuit is privately owned and has already attracted Aussie V8 supercars, mixed series racing and Aussie superbikes. I imagine the plan is for F1 and maybe World superbikes in the future, once the circuit is fully established.

When I ride through the Adelaide hills I pass a lot of the wineries in the Barossa, Clare Valley and occassionally McLaren Vale. To me its just like riding in Germany again.

As my three bikes are pretty shmick, I tend to be a "fair weather fiend" and only ride them when the sky is blue and the temperature is above 25 degrees C. Being retired I can hopefully avoid any drunks, if by riding during business hours :lol:

Once I work out how to upload images, I will post a picture of my bikes.
Cheers, Johno.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

If you don't have a 'postimage' type of picture hosting subscription and post links from there to here, you'll have to get your pics down to below 240k size as there is only limited server space for pics. Nothing I or other mods can do about that as it was (and is) set by those who pay for our forum.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.