Suzuki GT185 (1973).....Poor running + Clutch/gear issue ?

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

joeloss1
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT185-1973

Suzuki GT185 (1973).....Poor running + Clutch/gear issue ?

Post by joeloss1 »

Having a few problems with my lovely "new" GT185. Things done so far....New petcock/plugs/air-filter/oil/battery/plug lines trimmed.
I was told carbs were ultra-sonic cleaned recently (tank is very clean inside). Bike starts easily first time.Idles well but "bogs" at low revs then flies away as normal at higher revs. I've adjusted clutch cable but neutral is a sod to find again.Gear changes a bit sticky but all engage well and don't jump.
I've had the carbs off....seem okay although not really sure what I'm looking for. Have sprayed WD40 around to check for air leaks.
Oil in two stroke doesn't seem to be going down(I topped up but maybe takes a time to use small amount)....wondered if oil pump needs checking ? Bike has been unused for maybe 20 years....bores were cleaned/new piston rings. I know there are stories re: crank seals going ? Hopefully not ? Any help much appreciated. It's frustrating as it seems close to getting bike running well.

John in sunny Worthing,UK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Suzuki GT185 (1973).....Poor running + Clutch/gear issue

Post by GTandcbr »

Hi John and welcome to the forum. Firstly the poor running is almost certainly blocked pilot jets or pilot jet passage from the symptoms described by you. I'm afraid unless you get them cleaned ulrasonicaly yourself you cant be sure. It usually takes a few runs through the machine to clear the internal passages.
The only proven way to check the crank seals is with a leakdown test.
The clutch problem could be several issues. Its usually bad adjustment. There is also another possibility. The fingers on the clutch basket sometimes,through heavy use, develop ridges which makes the action jerky and stiff. You can remedy this usually by removing the clutch pressure plate and discs. Then lightly sand the ridges smooth.
These bikes dont use that much oil a tank can last quite a few miles.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

The GT185 thrives on revs and tends to be very 'fllat' under 5000 rpm when suddenly, it's off like a scalded cat. They also like running (as do all 2 strokes) and don't appreciate being stood for long periods between runs. If it starts easily and ticks over ok, there's not much wrong with carburation, but if you want to get the carbs cleaned properly, try Bluesmokebaz in Dudley, he's done several sets for my triples. - baz99w@netscape.net
Regarding the oil, they don't use much unless you get some miles on! I measure how much I put in my bikes and then write the mileage on a bit of white tape, stuck near the oil tank filler. It's easy to work out how much it uses tgen, but I would think that over 800 miles a litre would be easily attained.

Which bit of the UK are you in? Plus a bit of your biking experience is handy - it's not much use having technical advice if you don't understand it!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
joeloss1
On the street

Post by joeloss1 »

GTandcbr wrote:Hi John and welcome to the forum. Firstly the poor running is almost certainly blocked pilot jets or pilot jet passage from the symptoms described by you. I'm afraid unless you get them cleaned ulrasonicaly yourself you cant be sure. It usually takes a few runs through the machine to clear the internal passages.
The only proven way to check the crank seals is with a leakdown test.
The clutch problem could be several issues. Its usually bad adjustment. There is also another possibility. The fingers on the clutch basket sometimes,through heavy use, develop ridges which makes the action jerky and stiff. You can remedy this usually by removing the clutch pressure plate and discs. Then lightly sand the ridges smooth.
These bikes dont use that much oil a tank can last quite a few miles.
Many thanks for info......I'll take carbs off and have a look at state of clutch. John.
joeloss1
On the street

Post by joeloss1 »

Alan H wrote:The GT185 thrives on revs and tends to be very 'fllat' under 5000 rpm when suddenly, it's off like a scalded cat. They also like running (as do all 2 strokes) and don't appreciate being stood for long periods between runs. If it starts easily and ticks over ok, there's not much wrong with carburation, but if you want to get the carbs cleaned properly, try Bluesmokebaz in Dudley, he's done several sets for my triples. - baz99w@netscape.net
Regarding the oil, they don't use much unless you get some miles on! I measure how much I put in my bikes and then write the mileage on a bit of white tape, stuck near the oil tank filler. It's easy to work out how much it uses tgen, but I would think that over 800 miles a litre would be easily attained.

Which bit of the UK are you in? Plus a bit of your biking experience is handy - it's not much use having technical advice if you don't understand it!!
I'm South Coast. I'm still learning on bike maintenance.Ok on small jobs etc.....very few bike shops enthusiastic about helping with classic bikes. Thanks for info. John.
joeloss1
On the street

Post by joeloss1 »

Clutch/gear change issue improved somewhat.....seems gearbox overfilled with 20/50 mineral.....been advised 10/40 semi-synth so it is changing a lot better ....neutral still a bit tricky......maybe needs a good run rather than round the block.
Going to try and balance carbs....see if I can get more even running at low rpm.
Thanks for the tips to date.

John.