kick starter jammed

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Moosje
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt 550, gt 750, t500,

kick starter jammed

Post by Moosje »

Hey guys, I am new to this forum.
HOpefully someone will respond to my issue.
I bought a 1972 T500 which ran two years ago. However for whatever reason the kickstarter is stuck.
I am unable to turn to engine over when I put it in gear and try to turn the rear wheel.
I pulled the heads and pistons and crank are freely moving when I turn crankshaft nut behind ignition cover.
never any issues although I did a lot of kicking because I had gas issues (feet and leg got sore eventually).
I hope I do not have to pull the engine and open the case.

thanks for any tips and tricks.

Peter.
Kingston Ontario.
karl pa
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT

Re: kick starter jammed

Post by karl pa »

Welcome
I never had a 500 transmission open, But I believe the kick starter engages on trans gears.
Did you remove clutch cover to check nothing is amiss in clutch? I think you need to open cases to get at kick start.
I don't have an answer why it turns by turning crank nut and not with rear wheel.
The earlier 500 had issues with low oil causing gear damage,look up oil dam modification.
76 GT185
77 GT250
77 GT380
76 GT500
73 GT550
73 GT750
74 GT750
71 T250 scrambler
75 T500 cafe
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: kick starter jammed

Post by jabcb »

The T500 manuals are here: https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
Select “Suzuki T & GT Resources Pages” & “Suzuki Manuals”.

An online parts manual showing the transmission is here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuk ... ansmission" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the kickstarter is here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuk ... ck-starter

The kick starter works by the kick starter pawl (part # 4) engaging the kick starter drive gear (part #12).
The kick starter drive gear turns the transmission 1st driven gear (part # 21).

In neutral with the clutched engaged, turning the crank spins the clutch hub & basket, transmission countershaft (part #1), the driven gears, and the kick starter drive gear. The driveshaft (part #23) does not turn.
In 1st gear with the clutch disengaged, turning the crank spins only the clutch basket.

If the kick starter drive gear is stuck, then so is the 1st driven gear, the 1st drive gear, and the clutch basket. You can turn the crank with the clutch disengaged but not when the clutch is engaged.

What did you mean by kick starter jammed?
Is it stuck in the up position? Or is it stuck somewhere in the kickstart stroke? Did the lever return to the up position when last used?
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE