Air Compressor.

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Glyn.G
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT380 B- Yamaha FZ1

Air Compressor.

Post by Glyn.G »

Hi All,
Not really a bike problem It's just I'm tired of getting ripped off by shot blasting companies who know they have you by the nuts when you walk through the door with your parts that need blasting. So I've decided to go down the route off doing it myself.
My problem is I've had conflicting advice on running a small 90 Litre blast cabinet I've seen on E-Bay, from companies who supply compressors. Some tell me a 24 Litre compressor operating at 8 bar @ 5 CFM will suffice. Others tell me I need between a 50 Litre - 100 Litre tank compressor operating at 8 bar @ 9.6 CFM. Most of the cabinets I have seen need an operating pressure of 60 -80 psi @ 4 - 5 CFM. I'm confused.
Is there anyone out there that runs one of these small cabinets, or can give me some sound advise on the compressor I need. I will be extremely grateful.
Kind Regards.
Glyn.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Air Compressor.

Post by Alan H »

I have a small (about 2' x 18" x 18") http://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/heavy-du ... t-cabinet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; blast cabinet and use a https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/airmast ... ir-compre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; compressor. When I use the cabinet, once the compressor runs, it runs constantly. A small compressor will not do the job and the air pressure drops to almost nothing. So IMO is only just enough. Get the best you can afford - in this case bigger is definitely better! Make sure what you buy will run off a 13a socket though, so 3kw is as big as you can go without having a dedicated feed from your consumer unit/fusebox. That cabinet needs a minimum of 8cfm at 8 bar if you look at the specs, and IIRC a compressor is rated at the incoming air end, not tbe compressed air end.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

It depends on how much blasting you want to do and how bad the parts are. I can get a GT550 back mudguard in (just) but continuous blasting uses a lot of air. I used to have a smaller 25 litre tank 7cfm compressor, but it wasn't up to the job at all.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Glyn.G
To the on ramp

Post by Glyn.G »

Cheers Alan,
So the 50 Litre tank with at least an operating pressure of 115 psi / 8 bar at 14.5 CFM is the way to go then. Just as a matter of interest the cabinets I have seen on e-bay seem to be the same size as yours, at least dimension wise, yet the sellers have messaged me stating the smaller compressors will do the job. Not to slander anyone but perhaps they just want to sell me a cabinet.
Thanks for the info Alan.
Regards,
Glyn.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

No they want to sell you two compressors!
I use aluminium oxide powder for everything. I'll have a look at gun orifice size when I get home.
Glyn.G
To the on ramp

Post by Glyn.G »

Cheers Alan,
The cabinets I have looked at come with a selection of different sized ceramic nozzles, not sure if they are any good though, may just have to buy one and see.
Regards,
Glyn.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2662058036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just bought a replacement for the original gun - after about 5 years and a lot of work, it was getting worn - and I use the smallest nozzle. I also have a tiny gun like a micro spray gun for close in or very small areas. This is freehand work that tends to be a bit dusty (not in a cabinet).