I'm baaack...

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

PHPaul
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1979 Yamaha XS650, 1974 Suzuki GT550

I'm baaack...

Post by PHPaul »

Okay, so July 4th weekend, I gave in to an ugly combination of a little cash laying around and the hots for a new bike. A 2016 Yamaha FJ09 took up residence in my garage.

Needless to say, the 40 year leap in technology, especially suspension, brakes, and HORSEPOWER was a major rush. Things like traction control, ABS brakes, fuel injection, rider selectable engine programming and HORSEPOWER just blew me away. I've put over 3000 miles on the bike in 3 months.

While SWMBO was remarkably calm about the expenditure, she made a few pointed remarks about my not being able to ride three bikes (the new Yamaha, the old Yamaha and the Suzuki) so I put the two old bikes up for sale.

Somewhat to my surprise, the response has been underwhelming. I finally did move the XS650 at a bit less than half what I have invested in it. I've had ZERO serious inquiries about the GT550 unless I was willing to give it away. Not happening.

So, at this point, the plan is to keep the GT and slowly (veeerrrrrry slowly) continue to fine tune the rebuild and ride it occasionally.

The point of the foregoing being, I'll be around occasionally and haven't abandoned the GT to it's fate.