Now for something completely different.

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Now for something completely different.

Post by Alan H »

In a land far, far back in time, before I was born even (yep, that far back) my Dad bought an Ariel VB 600cc sidevalve single with a sidecar on. Brand spanking new it was and as I eventually arrived on the scene and was allowed in the sidecar on my own (never on the pillion as I was an ‘active’ child so I am led to believe) I assisted in the control of the beast by being tail gunner with a succession of weapons from cowboy six shooters to plastic tommyguns (not much in the way of sophisticated weaponry in the ‘50s, unfortunately.)
Anyway when I got to about 10, Dad sold the combo and bought a BSA Bantam and later went onto 4 wheels, that being the end of involvement with powered 2 wheels until I eventually had a 10 year old D3 150 Bantam bought in 1967 for the princely sum of £6 to get me mobile without pedalling.
Many years later – about 40ish – I went to IAT Waddington to see the Lancaster, Spitfire, Hurricane, Vulcan and a few other aircraft with Lynn’s brother and noticed a display of British bikes on show.
One of which turned out to be my Dad’s Ariel, now as a solo.
Well I contacted the owner and gave (yes, gave) him the original sale and deposit receipts (salvaged when my parents both passed away) from when my Dad bought the bike as I believed that it was provenance and should be with the bike. He reckoned that I would be offered the bike if he ever decided to sell, and then we lost touch for a few years. Well, I managed to get back in touch a couple of weeks ago and when my gammy knee gets a bit better, I’m going to see him and may be able to buy the bike as he's now into old British 2 strokes so we still have 'something' in common.
I don’t really want it for any other reason that it was my Dad’s, but what’s the chances of finding a bike with a bit of history like that?
So what do people think? Daft or what? I hope I can get it as it's a bit of family history, so to speak.
Must be gerrin soft in me dotage!
Last edited by Alan H on Tue May 17, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
PHPaul
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1979 Yamaha XS650, 1974 Suzuki GT550

Re: Now for something completely different.

Post by PHPaul »

Under those circumstances, I'd be all over that like a cheap suit!
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

I agree with Paul. The main reason I bought my T500 is that it was the same model as my first street bike, back 35 or so years ago. Your history with this particular bike? 1 in a million.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Alan H wrote:Daft or what? I
Yes - of course you are daft :D , but putting that aside, if i had a chance to buy my Dad's Norton 18, or my Grandad's BSA round tank then I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Go for it ! :up:
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

That's a great story, you should definitely buy it back if you have the chance to. Without getting too mystical about it, the past and the future always meet in the present day. And that bike is a piece of YOUR past, and that's priceless.

What's nice about the bike is that it looks in unrestored good condition, it's got the marks and scuffs from your dad and its subsequent owners.

That's properly warmed my heart this morning :D
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Of course you have to go for it. Cool.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........