Should I be taking paid car repair jobs?

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Should I be taking paid car repair jobs?

Post by Madbuffalo »

I enjoy working on my own cars tremendously. Over the years I've also done repairs for friends & family without charge. My little sister just asked if I would do some work on her 17yo friend's car with pay. I've never pursued fixing cars as a side job and am not sure how I feel about the idea. I'm worried it changes the game in terms of guarantees and liability, especially since I'm not a certified mechanic. I told my sister I'd let her know one way or the other tonight (June 11). You guys always have good insights so I wanted to see what you think about it.

Josh
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Craig380
Expert racer

Re: Should I be taking paid car repair jobs?

Post by Craig380 »

I would feel similarly ambivalent about being paid to do it. I guess it depends just how much work it is you're being asked to do.

If it was a basic service (you know, oil & filter, plugs, set up carb & timing etc) I'd just ask for a case of beer or bottle of bourbon or similar ... the same if swapping brake calipers etc.

If it was serious welding or repairs on major safety components (or something like that), I'd maybe charge a little cash.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

I used to do carb/timing /basic service work on cars and bikes and it was always 'I'll see you in the pub/club/bar/whatever and they never did, so I decided that when I moved house, I knew nothing about anything and it was like having an extra couple of days a week.
The choice is yours, help if you like, but start taking money and there's always the old 'it ran OK before you messed with it' scenario.
I help with advice nowadays, but cry off actual assistance unless it's a good trusted friend and very local.
I take payment in beer too!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Post by pearljam724 »

No one has to be a certified mechanic to do business on their own. If you feel confident and desire to do it to make extra money. I'd say go for it. I understand wanting to help family. But, people come to you because it cost them nothing. Your time is valuable. Stop the hand outs, just be reasonable. Otherwise, it's a waste of your time. Maybe, build or buy a shop. Good luck. I love working on my own cars and bikes. But, I don't think I could do that for a living. Mechanics put up with a lot.
Image Image
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:cry: Hi,agree mechanics cop all sorts of abuse,work on someone's car today,get abused the next ! "what have "YOU" done to my car !," when something goes wrong that is totally unrelated too the first repair :evil:
Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

I wouldn't bother.
I used to do it years ago but stopped.
to much hassle ,a case can I pay you next week or its a bit much mate after you've done the job.
even though I gave them the quote before hand.
I never let them take the car anywhere till cash in hand.
I've got a spare key I'll come back later.
OK if you step one foot in my drive I'll knock effing ya teeth so you either pay me now or I'll cut the whole thing out(sills).
its just not worth it mate.some will pay no problems but some will avoid at all cost.
I've had the same thing with racks..go a head I want one but after its made oh sorry mate unexpected bill blah blah.
so now I wont make any racks or backrest unless paid upfront.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by Madbuffalo »

Thanks guys for the good comments as always. In truth I've got enough other things to keep me busy. There's always another project to be done on our 115 year old house. Work is busy enough I can put in as many hours as I want (at higher pay than fixing cars). In 10 years or so I've been considering breaking off on my own and at that point some supplementary income might be nice as I'm getting started. For now my time is better invested in other things. I'll continue helping family and friends but will be more open to taking pay. My time is valuable.

Good comments.
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
r3tro74
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 GT550

Post by r3tro74 »

I worked as a mechanic at a GM dealer and had a "licensed automotive repair facility" at home in my pole barn. I can tell you that of you expect to get PAID for your work, you must have at least one State of Michigan certified mechanc at your facility. You do not need certification if you do not expect to be paid or of you are only doing "fleet" vehicles such as taxi or service trucks that are owned by the employee's company.
1974 Suzuki GT550
1983 Honda XL250
2002 Yamaha Bear Tracker
1959 Lone Star Malibu
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

Anytime you cross the line from a hobby (or doing a favor) to a business, you need to know that the local, state, and Federal governments are going to reach into your pockets and/or tell you what you can do, how you must do it, and how much it will cost you.

These days, I read of grade school kids getting harassed for running a lemonade stand in their neighborhood.

If you want, stick to fixing things as a favor, and let them know you are willing to accept donations for your time and efforts.