For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

chicagogt550
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 GT550

Post by chicagogt550 »

New member to the forum here! Complete newbie to the beautiful GT550. I picked up a 74 GT550C(pics to come later) from a friend and have resolved to put some money into the bike and get it running. I realize many of you guys can probably take a bike apart and put it back together with your eyes closed, but I need someone reputable to go to to take a look at the bike. I live in Chicago and was wondering if you guys can recommend any good mechanics in the area. Any suggestions would be helpful!

I am not sure I can get this running in time for Spring, but I would love to try...you all know the feeling, I see Spring right around the corner...
Craig380
Expert racer

Re: New Member

Post by Craig380 »

Hi and welcome. I'm a few thousand miles from Chicago, but I'll come look at the bike if you'll cover my plane ticket. I'll pay for my own food & beer :up: :wink:

But seriously, good luck with her, hope you get 'er sorted for the summer.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: New Member

Post by Alan H »

Hi there and all the best with the 550. I love 'em and have a few in the garage and lockup at work.
Check these details as I think you have the details mixed up, there isn't a 'C', and a '74 is an 'L'.
If you have a look at the pics and details, you'll have a better idea of what you have.
Lots of help on here but I would suggest a manual and parts book off ebay are the best way forward - plenty in the US.

Model details (clicky linky)
Manual (clicky)
Parts manual (clicky)
Either Haynes or Clymer is helpful, but read it carefully before doing things, they are not 100% accurate!!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.