GT550 - is it under-powered for normal day-to-day riding?

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Re: GT550 - is it under-powered for normal day-to-day riding

Post by pearljam724 »

Sounds like technical problems. When you own one of these bikes. It's very important to become familiar with what causes problems. All very simple things to learn. The number one thing that causes performance problems with these bikes per your quote " under-powered" is the battery. These bikes will not create peak power or run properly with anything less than a battery in very good condition. A lot of people will assume that their battery is good because the battery will start the bike, battery is fairly new or they only test it after charging it. None of this, means squat. You have to test the battery after its been charged and sitting for approximately 24 hrs, when key is turned on, while motor is cranking over and finally when the bike is revving roughly at 3k rpm with the lights on. Just because a battery will start the bike, doesn't mean it's any good. I pulled my hair out every day for a month trying to figure out why my bike refused to run right. Turned out, a battery I just bought a few weeks prior had a dead cell. My bike would start immediately with the bad battery, run fine, then several miles down the road. Leave me stranded because it was " under powered." Replaced battery with another new one and she roared to life. There are a couple mechanical faults that will cause the same symptom. But, without a doubt. The most common is the battery. That fact, will confuse a lot of people. They will often think their battery is good, when it's not. Timing and points are the second most common causing the same symptom. Very easy to address and fix. But, you have to educate yourself.
Last edited by pearljam724 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
GT750Battleship
Road race school
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT750A 1976

Post by GT750Battleship »

:up: +1 on the battery & two strokes,I can feel when something is not "right" more often than not its to do with the condition of the battery !! Replaced lead acid battery a while back,now running a Mottobat,everything fine so far !

Cheers,
Roger
GT750Battleship.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

And what we haven't talked about is how much power can be extracted from a GT550 should one feel so inclined. With porting and decent pipes it should be possible to raise power considerably. what is "considerably"?

Stock and new they made around 32 stock new and fully run in and serviced closer to 37 at the rear wheel. That is not a lot, but it's enough to do about 100 MPH. With pipes and mild porting 45-50 should be easy to get to and 60-70 is not beyond reach.

So if you find you need more speed after it's running 100%, start to think in terms of bigger ports and decent pipes..
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

tz375 wrote:And what we haven't talked about is how much power can be extracted from a GT550 should one feel so inclined. With porting and decent pipes it should be possible to raise power considerably. what is "considerably"?

Stock and new they made around 32 stock new and fully run in and serviced closer to 37 at the rear wheel. That is not a lot, but it's enough to do about 100 MPH. With pipes and mild porting 45-50 should be easy to get to and 60-70 is not beyond reach.

So if you find you need more speed after it's running 100%, start to think in terms of bigger ports and decent pipes..
The 'what's in a tune-up?' article from here is a great read: http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_G ... /index.php

It shows just how tolerant the stock motor is to timing etc being slightly out of whack.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Vintageman
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suz, Yam, Honda, Kaw.

Post by Vintageman »

On my 73 GT550 I raised my Ex port >1.5mm < 2mm. That is they are all now 38mm ex height where i believe it was ~40mm to start.

I went 1mm wider but, a mod I don't like due to ring snag.

I opened the intake passages first 1 inch or so after carb and lowered how far the oil injection tube sticks up.

I shaved my skirts 1.5mm or 2mm I forget.

I ran 0.035" off head then got nervous (ping?) and put back stock head. This year I plan to run 0.020" off head ala T350 gaskets.

Compression does make a big difference midrange hit.

I don't like to have to run high octane gas for i put a gallon at a time (fill when you can) and the pumps share the same hose with low octane

I run Bassani's 3 into 3 expansion chambers

The bike has a more power and my butt dyno did not notice any bottom end loss.

It's still a midrange hitting bike. My estimate I gained +400 rpm peak power point say 6900 vs 6500 and thus a 6900/6500 = >6% hp gain. The pipes themselves added as much alone.

So if it was rated 50 hp now 56-57 hp now using same rating

Well I wish I had moved peak to say 7500, but there is point its not the same bike

I love the bike.

It is unique in the pile or Harley’s and Rice rocket. It's raw. It runs the interstates no problem

It’s too heavy but, not like a GT750 or my CB900F.
I would like to make a cafe (drop e-start and put it on a diet)

It's amazingly smooth and has a great wide midrange power band. OK it's slow compared to a modern bike for sure.

But Its’ a triple 2 stroke!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1zIYO1BYQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0DvFBlWJ1U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz0XsRbygig" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okut7mxUX4o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll see everyone will check it out when you drive...
The very young will giggle at you or ask you to pull a wheellie (good luck with that)
Current Bikes
74 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
76 GT250 (T350 upgrade),
71 T350,
70 T350,
74 GT380,
75 T500,
73 GT550,
75 GT750,
72 Yamaha DS7 (R5 upgrade),
77 Yamaha RD400 (Daytona Cyls),
blurred
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: YZF600

Post by blurred »

Vintageman wrote: The very young will giggle at you or ask you to pull a wheellie (good luck with that)
Well, at least now I have a goal. :lol:

As stated, appreciate the input guys. Getting close to attempting the first startup.
1974 Suzuki GT550 project
Hard-tail setup of engineering genius