Need help from those with GS knowledge

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pearljam724
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 75- GT 550 / 76- GT 750

Need help from those with GS knowledge

Post by pearljam724 »

Been a good while since I posted on here. Hope all of my friends are doing well. A couple weeks ago, I purchased a gem, 1982 GS1100G. Beautiful condition, low miles. Was repainted several years ago I believe. Anyhow, the only thing wrong with it when I bought it. Was the turn signals didn’t work. I haven’t dug very far into that issue to this point. As I took time to remove the front fairing and cleaned her up a little better. As many bikes I have owned over the course of my life. I have never experienced this. This bike has what is called a turn signal control unit. In addition to a turn signal relay. What is the purpose of this control unit ? And if it turns out to be faulty ($200 to replace) can I just use the turn signal relay on its own like any other bike, so my aftermarket signals work ? Im hoping to get help with this one. Ive owned quite a few rarer bikes over the years. But, these models are pretty darn scarce. Very little available in reference to parts and information on the net as well. Thank you, to anyone willing to share what you might know.
Image Image
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Need help from those with GS knowledge

Post by jabcb »

Join the Suzuki GS forum: https://www.thegsresources.com
They have lots of info for turning a find into a reliable daily rider.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

Ive had a lot more success and experience with this site. Seems, I found part of my answer based on a find similiar to the GS850G. The 1100G and 850G, appeared to have had, automatic concealing signals. I guess that’s what the control unit takes care of ? Just hope I can bypass it if infact it is the problem. Hopefully, just replacing the relay, rather than the control unit does the trick.
Image Image
ConnerVT
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R (now), T500M (40 yrs ago)

Post by ConnerVT »

(Disclaimer right on top: I know absolutely nothing about the GS series.)

I would suggest, before laying out $200 for a black box, to eliminate any other problems that could possibly exist with the turn signals:

-- Be sure you have a good battery. After being fully charged on the bench, it should still have ~12.5V after 24 hours.

-- Confirm that the factory correct bulbs are installed in all flashers (including the indicator bulb). People tend to put in anything that fits, and many setups require the exact correct wattage/current to be present to operate correctly.

-- Check/clean every connection. This includes where the directionals mount to the bike (for good ground), the bulb sockets and how they mount inside the directional housing (love to collect moisture inside), and all of the connections from the directional circuit to the harness (lights, flashers, handlebar switches, etc).
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

Had time to mess around with the situation yesterday. Was infact the turn signal relay. Bought an aftermarket heavy duty one at a local auto store. That’s the second straight relay on different Gs models I’ve owned to be faulty. They must have been wired cheaply, internally. This heavy duty unit I just bought is loud. I can hear it ticking from far away or when bike is idling. I like that. Forgot to check if automatic signal cancellation worked, lol ! Ready to go now, cant wait to see how the in-line four feels on an old bike like this. Would like to share pics. But, thats the only negative thing I can say about this site. Maybe when I get some time to mess around. I’ll go through hosting a picture.
Image Image
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

Odd, this bike’s starter will engage by pulling clutch lever in any gear or neutral, without pushing starter button. If the side stand is down ? But, won’t do that if side stand is up. I understand, starter button not working if side stand is down. But, starter engages by pulling clutch lever only ?
Image Image
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

You pics display with the infamous Photobucket 3rd party hosing notice.

Maybe your bike has the wrong sidestand switch.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
pearljam724
AMA Superbike

Post by pearljam724 »

Im sorry about photobucket display. Those were from the 2 pictures of my 750 and 550 in my signature. I don’t know why it’s not hosting them now ? Maybe if I just go into my signature and delete them. You might be right about the switch, I ll have to verify that. But, the thing about that is. The switch works properly when the stand is up. Something might be wired to bypass it though ? As it, doesn’t show on the indicator light on the speedometer that it’s down. Unless, that bulb is burned out. But, Ive been all over the wiring. When I removed the Vetter Fairing and had to install a different headlight. Looked at bulbs in speedometer, too. Maybe, I hooked the clutch switch or sidestand switch up to the wrong wire. But, if I did do that. I don’t think the starter button would work properly when the sidestand is up. I don’t know, lol !
Image Image
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

You've almost certainly hooked up the wrong wire. Without looking at the wiring diagram I couldn't tell you for sure which wire but I would suggest checking the wiring for the side-stand first. It has probably been either bodged, modified or incorrectly connected.
GTrida4life
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 73 GT750, 75 GT750, HD Road Glide

Post by GTrida4life »

I have a good set of gauges for 83 GS1100E if you know someone needing them....